BENT WOOKEE COMIX (..we have issues..)

BENT WOOKEE COMIX (..we have issues..)
Parking available at The West End Beer Mart right next door!

NEW COMICS THIS WEEK!

Sunday, October 12, 2008


DO YOU DARE ENTER…

You might have missed it but Vertigo relaunched THE HOUSE OF MYSTERY a couple months ago. I didn’t. I’m a huge fan of the old DC series, so I was the first to sign up for this title. This was one of the books I actually kept a watch out for. When it finally came, I think I read it right there in the store.

Now I read the first three issues before I canceled the series. It’s not that it’s a bad title. In fact, I think a few of our customers would really get into it if they gave it a shot. I love SAM WEBER’s covers as well as LUCA ROSSI’s interior art. My problem? The format is too removed from the classic H.O.M. I love so much.

First off, CAIN, who’s lived in the house for decades, telling stories of the macabre to whoever was fortunate enough to pick up an issue only appears on the first two pages of the first issue. He finally kills ABLE and is returning home when he finds his house, the HOUSE OF MYSTERY, is gone. Then he disappears from the book. Out of sight, out of mind.

He is replaced by FIG, a plucky blonde who ends up being trapped in the house along with a colorful cast of characters. No one can leave. So they do what anyone would do, they hang out in the lounge all day drinking. No one has any money so they pay for their drinks with stories. The first story is actually kind of creepy. It’s about a girl who marries a giant fly. They have sex and the fly lays eggs inside her (so was it a girl fly?). Sometime later, maggots explode out of her back. My problem is it’s not really a story so much as a “what’s grosser than gross?” joke.

The “stories” get worse from there. Not grosser, just more boring. And, unlike the old H.O.M., they are now a minor part of the book. Most of the book is about the people hanging out at the house. Imagine if they redid THE TWILIGHT ZONE and you got to see ROD SERLING be replaced by a whimsical group of characters who just kind of hung out for about 20 minutes and then told a 5 minute anecdote.

Like I said, I see a market for this book. It reads like FABLES, so if you like that book you might want to try this. But if you’re looking for the classic HOUSE OF MYSTERY, I’d go with the DC SHOWCASE collections. We can get you both the new HOUSE OF MYSTERY and the DC SHOWCASE at BENT WOOKIEE COMIX. Just ask.

2 comments:

Hept-Rossi said...

Gotta love the shout out! And I could kick the shit out of Luca Rossi. RECOGNIZE!!!

Vinson said...

word.