BENT WOOKEE COMIX (..we have issues..)

BENT WOOKEE COMIX (..we have issues..)
Parking available at The West End Beer Mart right next door!

NEW COMICS THIS WEEK!

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

For doing this in my spare time (which I have increasingly less of each day), I sure get bitched at a lot with regards to this blog. Your posts are too long, your posts are too vulgar, your posts reveal too much, you post too often, you don't post enough, etc. It's like I deal with Goldilocks at every possible turn.

So here I sit, trying to figure out a way to appease everyone, even though I know it is futile. We joked down the store last week that Brandon can't read my posts because he hasn't caught up to the issue I reviewed yet. And since my review style was to basically tell the reader everything that happened, what was the point in even reading the book? I thought a lot of about that and what analogy I could use to sum up how my posting style might be hurting people from buying the books I reviewed.

The analogy I came up with was that if I were a prostitute, I would be standing out on the corner completely naked and giving out free samples like the people who hand out samples of chicken in front of the Chinese joints in the food court of the mall. If I did that, why would johns pay for my services? I'm sure my pimp would be mad. And since Brandon is my pimp on this blog, I have to respect his pimp hand.

So without further adieu, here is my attempt to try and lure you, dear reader, into the back alley to sample my wares. Or to go to Bent Wookee Comix to buy this funny book:


Original Sin is a five part story that is going to run between X-Men: Legacy and Wolverine: Origins over the next couple of months. This book is the first part of the story and if I didn't already get those books, I wouldn't be seeking them out. Let's examine why.

Wolverine, who over the course of his history has befriended more people in more cities than any other human could possibly do, seeks out a monk to watch over his son Daken, who doesn't remember who he is. He then sets out on a mission to help his insane offspring. Now right off the bat, I'm not digging the story because I absolutely hate Daken. He is just another figure to muddle Wolverine's already muddy past and he serves no purpose. He's just a younger version with a really stupid haircut and bone claws that come out from different places than Wolverine's. The sooner he dies the better.

Now, to be fair, when X-23 was introduced I hated her too. To me, she was just a female version of Wolverine with only two claws in her hand and one in her foot. Her back story was contrived and kind of lame if you ask me. But after her first mini-series I liked her. She unfortunately was not written correctly during her time in Uncanny X-Men, but Chris Claremont was writing it so that should explain it. In that book she was just a feral female version of Wolverine looking to kill anything in the Savage Land. They got her back on track with her second mini-series and now I completely like the character. I just don't see that happening with Daken though.

Back to the book, Daken is visited by a woman I can only assume is Mrs. Sinister (she never calls herself that) and she is trying to recruit him to a group of mutants that have been a thorn in the side of the X-Men for years. They are trying to remind him of his violent past and hope to use him to their advantage.

Elsewhere, Wolverine has a confrontation with Cyclops and eventually finds Xavier to ask him to help his son like he helped Wolverine all those years ago. Since Charlie has memory issues, Wolverine brings him up to speed on their first meeting. The big reveal is something I was afraid they were going to do a while ago and now that fear has been realized. Needless to say, I was not happy.

Wanna know what happens? Buy the book, available at Bent Wookee Comix located at 127 Fairfield Avenue in the West End section of Johnstown. See ya there!

1 comment:

Vinson said...

Hug.