BENT WOOKEE COMIX (..we have issues..)

BENT WOOKEE COMIX (..we have issues..)
Parking available at The West End Beer Mart right next door!

NEW COMICS THIS WEEK!

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

#1 In The Hood, G

Has it really been three weeks since my last post? Sweet Odin's Beard, time is flying. I really have been neglecting my duties over here and I'm trying to find time to squeeze stuff in. I know I had a similar rant last time so I will spare everyone the same details. Let's just say I am easily behind an entire week of comics and my duties over at my main blog, The Suburban Rob Rossis, has been keeping me quite busy.

But in the spirit of getting back into reviewing (and now that the rigged costume contest is out of the way) I'm going to do a quick one on a book I read probably two weeks ago, New Avengers #46:


With the entire Marvel Universe being run over by the Secret Invasion stuff, New Avengers and Mighty Avengers have been focusing on the the back story of what happened when the Skrulls landed from a month ago. I myself have become sick of the story because I read at least four of these stories a week and most of them are completely pointless. It's also coming to the point where other non-core books have moved part the whole Secret Invasion thing because they couldn't tread water any longer waiting for the big wrap up. This kind of takes down the whole event a notch already unintentionally.

So going into this book, I figured it would be another useless tie in with a back story I really didn't need to know, this time involving how the villains got involved. I don't know much about The Hood, other than what I've read in his earlier appearances in New Avengers. I never read his mini-series and didn't realize until I just looked it up that he has only been around for the last six years, which is pretty new in the comics community. Since I don't understand who he is or why people would follow him, I've never really cared for the character. That would change with this issue.

Madam Masque, who is in the Hood's Syndicate of Criminals, is captured by agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and lead to a room for interrogation. When she refuses to cooperate, the agents decide they are going to pull an old wrestling trick and try to remove the mask from a defenseless prisoner. The Hood pops in (which is an ability I didn't know he had) and lays waste to her captures. When the agents revert to their true nature, it changes everything for the Hood.

Upon interrogating the remaining S.H.I.E.L.D agent with a pulse, the criminals find out some vital information about the Skrull invasion. The interrogation goes a little too far so they are left with some questions to which they have no answers. Panic starts setting in with the criminals and the Hood has to use some of his cape's mojo to see if everyone is who they say they are. One unlucky criminal was not and he ends up like his alien brethren. The Hood has the Syndicate burn the warehouse to the ground then retires to his house to get some answers about the extent of the hood's powers. The answer will surely come as a shock to a member of the New Avengers team.

So which criminal was a Skrull? Who is behind the Hood's powers? Wanna know what happens? Buy the book, available at Bent Wookee Comix located at 127 Fairfield Avenue in the West End section of Johnstown. See ya there!

3 comments:

K. Brandon Wilt said...

The Shield IS awesome! Go VIC!

Vinson said...

LOL Brandon.

Vinson said...

After reading this blog entry, I must agree that I also am sick and tired of this whole Secret Invasion crap and I don't even read any core Marvel books. Also, after reading your review, I'm actually interested in a character who I never even knew existed.