BENT WOOKEE COMIX (..we have issues..)

BENT WOOKEE COMIX (..we have issues..)
Parking available at The West End Beer Mart right next door!

NEW COMICS THIS WEEK!

Thursday, February 05, 2009

Making Babies Is Easy

It seems like the last couple of times I have posted something I have started out with a lame excuse as to why I haven't posted in a while. But today, after realizing I haven't posted since December, the sheer fact of the matter is I've been lazy. As Brandon pointed out to me tonight, I can make time to make comic book references on my main site, but I can't talk comics on a comics site. Well, sir, that ends here and now. Let's review some comics, shall we? Since I'm ridiculously behind in my comics stack, I'm reviewing X-Factor #39:


I just looked and found out that on average I read 40 ongoing series a month. That is beyond ridiculous. When you add in limited series and one shots, there are times when I'm reading upwards of 60 books in a month. That is on average two books a day if I keep up with it, which I never do. The reason I point this out is because I'm a huge fan of the recap page at the beginning of Marvel books. Without that one page refresher half the time I would be lost. For this issue of X-Factor, it was actually a good thing I read the recap page because it covered ground that wasn't in any previous comic. It was sort of a "what you missed during commercial break" moment that was essential to advancing the plot. I can't say I've seen that done ever in a comic.

The issue starts out with Darwin visiting with comatose father in the hospital and basically giving him the good ol' f*** you for being a crappy dad. I'm not sure if Peter David is handling the character correctly. I loved Darwin in the 'Deadly Genesis' crossover in X-Men where he was kind of mix of Wolverine and Cyclops. He could adapt to any situation, kind of like a healing factor, and he was extremely protective of Xavier, kind of like how Cyclops was at the beginning of X-Men before he got all serious and moody. Now, I think Marvel has made him too close to the Graymalkin character from Young X-Men because they have similar looks and mysterious backgrounds. I personally think they should move Darwin to X-Men Legacy and let him be Xavier's bodyguard instead of Gambit.

Ok, off of that tangent. The main part of the story involves Siryn going into labor with Madrox's child (who was conceived while Madrox's dupe was in the other room with M making her show him her O face). Siryn proposes to him right before she gives birth and he accepts. During the whole labor and delivery, Madrox comes to the realization that he has to grow up and he makes the decision to finally take the next step in his life.

After the baby is born he sends a dupe to watch over his newborn son because they are both fearful of what might happen to a new mutant baby. He then goes to see Val Cooper who got shot in the last issue to tell her to leave him and his team alone. He returns to the room to find out Theresa wants to name the boy Sean after her late father, the former X-Man Banshee. Madrox takes his little boy into his arms and then...OH MY GOD!?! WHAT HAPPENED?!? I can't give the rest away, you'll just have to read it yourself.

What is wrong with Madrox's baby? Why is Siryn showing the Irish temper? Wanna know what happens next? Buy the book, available at Bent Wookee Comix located at 127 Fairfield Avenue in the West End section of Johnstown. See ya there!

No comments: