BENT WOOKEE COMIX (..we have issues..)

BENT WOOKEE COMIX (..we have issues..)
Parking available at The West End Beer Mart right next door!

NEW COMICS THIS WEEK!

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Could A Lethal Legion Comic Be Good?

I know I joke a lot about how Brandon puts crap in my basket and forces me to buy it. But the fact of the matter is that I'm a grown man and if I really wanted to I could look into those dreamy eyes and tell him...um...tell him...that...um...what was I talking about? Oh yeah, Brandon puts crap in my basket and I'm forced to buy it because it is in my basket.

When the laundry list of Dark Reign titles were soliticated I felt a pain in my wallet that I haven't felt since I got the bill for my wedding. I knew there was going to be many $4 books passing from Diamond to the store to my house that were probably going to be an utter waste of time. One of those titles that I had absolutely zero desire to read but knew I would get anyway was "Dark Reign: Lethal Legion". I mean, who wants to read about a group of D-list villains?

Well, you should be reading about them. This book surprised me in how much I liked it probably because I wasn't expecting too much. It starts off with the basic premise that a lawyer, Mr. Livingston, is landing on the maximum security prison known as the Raft to interview his newest clients, the Lethal Legion. His first interview is with the Grim Reaper, who is convinced that the members of the prison staff are in league with Norman Osborn to kill him. As he is about to tell his story to Livinston, he is shived in the chest by another inmate who claims to be doing the work of Osborn.

From there Livingston talks with perennial punching bag, Tiger Shark. I've always thought of Tiger Shark as a joke but he is presented in a most unusual sympathetic light. He is prone to panic attacks and has to submerge his face in water to calm himself back down. He is also worried about this secret getting out, which I thought was a unique twist on the character. He recounts his encounter with Osborn after he failed to kill Deadpool as per their arrangement. Tiger Shark unsuccessfully tries to blackmail Osborn and promptly has his ass handed to him by Bullseye, Venom and Osborn himself. The final insult is issued when he is unceremoniously dumped out of the top floor of Avengers Tower and left for dead on the sidewalk.

The fact that they thought so little of him to not even check to see if he was actually dead lead him to join up with the Grim Reaper and a bunch of like minded villains who shared a hatred of Osborn. The newest incarnation of the Lethal Legion consisted of the Grim Reaper, Tiger Shark, Gargoyle, Mr. Hyde, Nekra, and the Absorbing Man. Each with their own specific reasons for hating Osborn but all committed to the cause of taking him down. They were doing just fine until their final member showed up with ties to both sides of the fight. That is when everything went to hell.

So who is the mysterious final member? Whose side is he really on? Does Norman Osborn really care about the Grim Reaper enough to have him killed in prison? Wanna know what happens next? Buy the book, available at Bent Wookee Comix located at 127 Fairfield Avenue in the West End section of Johnstown. See ya there!

3 comments:

kiddycat00 said...

YES!!! Who wants the good guys to win all the time that gets boring!

WITA said...

Boooo $4 comics. But that surprises me, too. I'll have to check it out! :)

Meanwhile, everyone can enter to win FREE comics prize packs over at the GirlsEntertainmentNetwork.com this week by commenting on any one of our Eisner review articles.

Okay, done shamelessly promoting now. <3

Vinson said...

They are dreamy.